08/12/2019

Don’t lose your honour – Britain can do more for Hongkongers

Originally Published by the Hong Kong Free Press on 08/12/2019.

Hong Kong’s last governor Chris Patten warned Britain that ignoring creeping authoritarianism in its former colony while pursuing trade deals with the People’s Republic of China risked the country losing its honour. It is a question I pondered in my first piece for the Hong Kong Free Press just under three years ago.

In my piece, I praised a few exceptional British parliamentarians who regularly spoke out about freedoms in Hong Kong. One was Labour’s then Shadow Minister Catherine West, although I could have easily named the Conservative’s Fiona Bruce and others. Either way, the point was that these were lone voices on the green benches. I bemoaned the scant attention paid to developments in the city by Fleet Street and the general disinterest amongst the British public outside of the country’s Hong Kong diaspora. 

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE.